Friday, August 11, 2006

Will PR steal my soul?


PR in general certainly doesn't have the greatest of reputations. While the industry has done plenty of good, people always seem to remember Firestone before they remember Johnson & Johnson.

It is always frustrating when people people I meet ask what I do and they have such a rudimentary understanding of the PR industry that I am forced to use ugly words like "publicist" and "spin doctor" just to get both of us on the same page. I've even been guilty of pretty grotesque comparisons between PR and Marketing/Advertising just because I lacked the time an energy to educate the world about the industry.

From my perspective (however biased or just plain inaccurate it may be), there is a clear division between Publicists, and Professional Communicators. I hope working at Lois Paul & Partners doesn't turn me into a slave to the clip book and I am actually able to retain my soul and not end up on this list.

I think I will make looking in the mirror to make sure I still have a reflection a new party of my nightly routine. Crossing my fingers....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being aware of the risk is also the cure. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine! Matthew

Jamie said...

Thanks Matthew. I'll try to stay conscious of the risk.

-Jameson