Friday, July 28, 2006

Buying Social Media

Last week’s big Web 2.0 story, Jason Calacanis tries to buy the top Digg/Flickr/Del.icio.us users. I may be a little slow to respond, but here are my $0.02.

Ever since I first heart Netscape Executive Calacanis on Episode 57 of TWIT, I wasn’t exactly a huge fan. I’m not sure if it was his voice, what was clearly not made for radio, or the way he seemed more interested in milking money off of the Web 2.0 revolution rather than creating something worthwhile to contribute to the movement, but he clearly didn’t fit in with the rest of the panel.

Not only does the new Netscape site blatantly steal Digg’s design, layout, and structure, but it fails to even bring anything original to the idea of a social news website. Now Calacanis offers to pay off the top Digg users to join his site? I guess it makes sense that Calacanis can’t build a site that will foster web-based social groups when he doesn’t even understand why so many people visit dig each day to post, comment, and of course, digg.

Kevin Rose has called out Calacanis on Diggnation, Leo Laporte has clearly picked sides, and as far as me, I think he is just a douchebag. There are few ways to rectify someone going beyond trying to create productive competition and stealing your intellectual property. At least it is comforting to know that Calacanis can’t even hire someone to get it right.

Calacanis, go back to the magazine business.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: